What is a night guard?
It is a removable appliance (prosthesis) that you wear during the night to prevent you from grinding your teeth together (bruxism) and over stressing your facial muscles. The mouth piece snaps snugly over your teeth. The guard is typically worn at night while you are sleeping.
What are indications for a night guard?
Here are some symptoms or indications:
- Signs of wear on the teeth (attrition).
- Signs of wear on restorations.
- Short teeth.
- Cracked or chipped teeth.
- Bone loss.
- Patient complains of waking up with a sore jaw or facial muscles.
- Patient complains of headaches.
- Patient complaining of clenching his/her jaw.
Dr. Omar Ghoneim, Berkeley dentist, will examine your teeth and the supporting tissues for your teeth. The night guard is fabricated in the dental office or dental lab for a superior fit.
If you are looking for relief from restless sleep, sore jaw or teeth grinding, call Berkeley Dental Care for your appointment.